Programme of Events 2008
The meeting on 27 April failed to produce support for continuation in the Association's present form. Accordingly, it was decided to wind up the Association in its current form as a registered charity. This would then allow a more informally organised group to start. The home page displays the results of an extraordinary General Meeting to wind up the Association.
Sunday April 27th 2008, Choral Evensong, followed by a GENERAL MEETING, 7.00pm, Christ Church, New Mill. Responses - Neary; Canticles - Murrill in E. A short organ recital followed by light refreshments preceded the meeting at 8.15pm.
2005 - 2006
- Tuesday 23 May 2006 Making and Voicing Reed Pipes, Wood of Huddersfield,
St. Andrew's Road, 7.00pm. Pipe-maker Terry Shires from Leeds demonstrated
how reeds are made, and David Wood showed how they are voiced. Pictures
from this event
- Friday 21 April 2006 An Evening of Seasonal Music, St. Paul's Hall, University of Huddersfield, 7.30pm Dr. Graham Cummings hosted this evening; members brought short pieces to play.
- Thursday 7 July 2005 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING, Almondbury Parish Church, 7.30pm. David Wood was
installed as President. The meeting was followed by organ music played by
- Tuesday 26 April 2005: Composing for Organ - an Inexact Science? - Andrew
Carter (York) talked about the frustrations, and rewards, of composition, at
Huddersfield Town Hall..
- Thursday 17 March 2005: Does it matter how I play my Bach? - Dr Graham Cummings, Malcolm Cruise and
Gordon Stewart in discussion with Robert Cockroft, at Almondbury Parish
- Tuesday 25 January 2005: On my desert island - Members of the association
introduced their favourite organ CDs, at Huddersfield Town Hall.
Centenary Year 2003 - 2004
- Saturday 20 September 2003: Open morning,
Huddersfield Town Hall. See and hear the Town Hall Organ! 10.30am until 12.00
- Saturday 4 October: Centenary Lunch & Recital.
10am - Coffee & reception, Huddersfield Town Hall, 10.30 Recital by Gordon
Stewart, Simon Lindley, Graham Cummings, Geoffrey Lockwood & Andrew
Robinson. ; 12.30 for 12.45 - lunch at Bradley's, Fitzwilliam street,
- November 10: Ann Elise Smoot, Huddersfield Town Hall
- December 2: Panel of speakers - discussion on Liturgy
and music, St. Thomas, Longroyd Bridge, Huddersfield.
- January 15 2004: St. Paul's Hall, University of
Huddersfield. Come and hear association members introduce and play favourite
pieces from the byways of the repertoire on the university's magnificent
neo-classical instrument. 7.30pm, with coffee served from 7pm.
- March 1: Malcolm Archer - "Writing for Organ"
- May 18: AGM, Newsome PC, with new organ, 7.30pm.
2002 - 2003
- Saturday 12 October 2002, Visit to Blackburn Cathedral & Chorley PC. Contact
David Wood for details.
- Monday 4 November, 7.00 for 7.30, Annual Dinner, The Three Acres, Shelley,
with guest speaker Dr. Simon Lindley.
- Saturday 23 November, Visit to pipemakers S.T. Shires, Bramley, Leeds (10.30am)
and St. Aidan's, Harehills, Leeds (2.00pm). Bring own lunch. Contact David
Wood for details.
- Saturday 18 January 2003. Slaithwaite Philharmonic Orchestra concert, Huddersfield
Town Hall. Programme includes HOA centenary commission for brass and organ,
Guilmant Symphony no. 1 for organ & orchestra, and Saent-Saens Symphony no.3,
with Gordon Stewart (organ), Chris Houlding (conductor). Tickets from Information
centre, Albion St., Huddersfield (01484 223200)
- Wednesday 5 February, 7.30, Waverley House, Highfields. "Exposed - my life
inside music" talk by Patrick Garvey (orchestral player, manager and currently
agent to Huddersfield Choral Society).
- Thursday 6 March, 7.30. Jubilee recital by David Briggs, celebrating 25th
anniversary of the Wood of Huddersfield organ in St. Paul's Hall. Tickets
- Tuesday 25 March, 7.30. Public lecture by Dr. Graham Cummings on Handel's
Messiah - "The most finished piece of Musick"- Fact, Fiction and Controversy.
Recital hall, University of Huddersfield.
- (.postponed Classic silent movies at the Paramount, Penistone, accompanied
on the 4-manual Compton cinema organ by Darius Battiwalla. Admission charge
- Monday 19 May, 7.30. AGM, Huddersfield Town Hall.
2001 - 2002
- Monday 8 October 2001, 7.30pm, Student evening, St Peter's PC Huddersfield
- Monday 29 October, 7.00 for 7.30, Annual Dinner, The Three Acres, Shelley with
George Guest, Andrew Jacobs
- Friday 7 December, 8.00pm, Social evening, King's Arms South Crosland
- Saturday 12 January 2002, Visit to Pontefract PC and Michael Phipps house
organ, Castleford. Meet at Wood of Huddersfield, 9.30am. Click
here for pictures
- Tuesday 12 February, 7.30pm, Talk on Sir Walter Parratt by Diane Priestley,
Waverley House Highfield St James
- Tuesday 12 March, 7.30pm, Conversazione between Gordon Stewart and Robert
Cockcroft, Almondbury church rooms
- Saturday 20 April, 9.30am-12.30pm, "Organstration" - how to accompany from vocal
scores, Joseph Cullen, Meltham PC
- Thursday 23 May, 7.30, AGM, St Stephen's Lindley
- Tuesday 16 July, 7.30, Masterclass given by Douglas Bell in Marsden Parish Church. Three volunteers (Andrew Robinson,
Malcolm Hinchliffe and Stephen Power) will prepare short pieces by Percy Whitlock, for critical comment by Douglas. CCTV will enable us all to see the console from 'downstairs'.Click here for pictures
- Saturday 31 August. Trip to Barnard Castle and
Darlington. Depart in car convoy from Wood of Huddersfield at 9.30am.